Interested in creating a feature wall at home but have no idea where to start? Read on for all the info you’ll need to bring any interior space to life with a simple yet effective feature wall!
It’s natural to be perturbed by the thought of creating a feature wall from scratch, with no outside help or past experience in such things. Get it right and you could be looking at a simple feature with the power to transform the room’s entire aesthetic. Nevertheless, get it wrong and you’ll be left with an eyesore you’ll be anything but proud of.
Truth is, a feature wall can be anything you want it to be. It can be a specific room dedicated to hanging photographs and artworks, a patterned/textured wall that contrasts with the rest of the room or simply a wall painted a different color. It’s up to you which way you go, but all three have the potential to make a big difference.
It’s just that painting one of your walls a different color to the rest is the easiest way of creating a feature wall.
For those opting for the DIY approach, there are really just a few things to bear in mind both before and along the way. So if planning to liven-up your interiors with a feature wall, here’s how to go about the job like a pro:
- First of all, it’s important to select an appropriate wall in the first place. The wall that will eventually become a feature wall should be the surface that immediately draws your attention when you walk into the room. Typical examples including walls with fireplaces, mounted TVs, large mirrors, artwork and so on. It’s basically a case of taking a wall that already stands out and making it even more eye-catching. Don’t try to make a feature wall of a surface that’s currently fading unnoticed into the background.
- If you intend to use paint to create a feature wall, it’s worth stepping out of your comfort zone and being brave. Your instincts will probably tell you to use a color that’s similar to the rest of your interior décor. Or at least, something you’d consider to be safe. Nevertheless, creating a truly striking feature typically means choosing something that contrasts very strongly with the rest of your walls. If the room is generally bright and breezy, perhaps choose something dark and subtle. If it’s the other way around, maybe go for a bright, bold and beautiful color for your feature wall.
- If you have the time and patience to tackle it, you could also consider using wallpaper to create a striking interior feature. Again, it’s a case of choosing a color and a pattern that create a bold contrast with the other surfaces around the room. The benefit of wallpaper being the addition of gorgeous patterns and finishes – the downside being the chaos that comes with hanging wallpaper in the first place.
- Back with paint, you could also try your hand with some shapes, lines, stencils and other standout features. This way, you’ve the opportunity to create a feature wall using two or more contrasting colors. Even just a few basic pinstripes or chevrons can have a superb effect. As can a feature framing circle, which is easy to create and was featured in one of our recent posts.
- Last but not least, the way you position your furniture and fixtures around the room will also have an impact on the effectiveness (or otherwise) of the feature wall. From rugs to photographs to chairs to tables to couches and so on, it’s a case of working on the complete room-wide aesthetic, rather than focusing on one single feature. As such, you might want to think about playing around with different configurations, rather than keeping things as they are right now. Trial and error typically being the key to success with such things.
Once again, a feature wall can be a simple, affordable and effective way to transform the dynamic of an entire room. If you’d prefer not to go about the process yourself, we’d be happy to lend a helping hand!
Contact a member of the team at Homm CPS to discuss your requirements in more detail, or to arrange an obligation-free consultation with one of our experts. We’ll have your interiors looking their best in no time!