An interior painting project represents an invaluable investment in the comfort, appearance and even the value of your home. Depending on the size and nature of the project, it can also amount to a relatively heavy investment. One that’s definitely worth making, but one you’ll want to hold onto for as long as possible.
This is why we frequently encounter clients with the exact same question regarding interior painting:
On average, how long does an interior paint job last?
Unfortunately, there’s no quick and easy answer to the question. There are countless variables that can affect the longevity of any interior paint job, which differ hugely from one project to the next.
Technically speaking, it’s possible for a high-quality interior paint job to continue looking superb for the best part of a decade. It’s also perfectly possible for a low-grade paint job to need touching up or redoing entirely in less than a year.
This is why we strongly advise prioritizing quality and value for money over rock-bottom prices. Above all else, there are four primary variables that will affect how long your internal paint job last.
Each of which we’ll now be taking a closer look at:
- The Quality of Your Paint
Little matters more than the quality of the paint you use for your interiors. As a general rule of thumb, higher-quality paint almost always guarantees superior results for a longer period of time. There are exceptions to the rule, but you can’t realistically expect immaculate and long-lasting results from the lowest-quality paints on the market.
If buying your own paint, ask your retailer for their advice and ensure you take home a decent product. If hiring help to paint your interiors, be sure to question your contractor ahead of time to determine what type of paint they use and whether it is up to scratch.
- The Type of Paint You Use
There are also big differences from one type of paint to the next. You’ll have the choice of three main types paint for your interiors – the most important properties of which being as follows:
- Oil Based Paints. Exceptionally durable and the preferred choice for many, oil-based paints are long-lasting and have a curing time of approximately 8 hours. On the downside, oil-based paints are more likely to contain high levels of VOC, therefore should be approached and handled with care.
- Water Based Paints. Relatively robust and significantly less expensive, water-based paints are considered an environmentally friendly alternative. The finish may not last quite as long, but you’ll pick up the paints you need for considerably less.
- Latex Based Paints. Perfect for walls and ceilings alike, latex-based paints are easy to work with and capable of delivering an exceptional finish. They’re also very affordable, but are somewhat less durable than the other main types of paint.
In all instances, the quality of the paint you choose will be just as important as the type of paint you select for your surfaces.
- The Condition of the Surface
It’s also important to factor in the condition of the surface being painted. The lifespan of any given paint job will be affected by the extent to which it is able to adhere to the surface smoothly and efficiently. This means eliminating as many imperfections as possible, while ensuring you have a clean and dry surface to work with.
Optimum surface conditions also means starting out with the best possible primer you can lay your hands on. The more effort you invest in the preparation process, the longer your internal paint job will last.
- The Conditions in the Room
Last up, your paint job will (obviously) be affected by a variety of exposures in the area of your home you’re painting. From temperature fluctuations to humidity to everyday impacts and abrasions, some painted surfaces are subjected to greater punishment than others.
Particularly in high-traffic areas of the home and rooms with more ‘challenging’ conditions, it’s worth opting for the most durable and hardwearing paints available. Again, feel free to ask your local retailer or your chosen contractor for their recommendations.
Call for a Quote…
At Homm CPS, we provide a creative range of affordable interior painting services to suit all budgets. Whether looking to spruce up a single home or ready to transform your interiors with a wall to wall makeover, we’re standing by to offer you an unbeatable deal.
Call Homm CPS today for more information, or to discuss your requirements in more detail.