You’d be forgiven for thinking that the best way to remove exterior paint would be the easiest method available. If there’s a fast and simple way to get the exterior paint off your property, surely that’s the best way to do it…right?
Perhaps, but there is far more to removing exterior paint than simply doing so as fast as you possibly can. Some methods are way faster than others, but the last thing you want is to cause major damage to your home’s exterior in the process.
Or worse yet, do a number on your own health and wellbeing.
Lead Paint Removal Warning
Just to address one important point right away – lead paint needs to be removed with extreme care and attention, for health and safety purposes. Lead-based paint was used in and on homes on a widespread basis until as recently as the 1970s.
When lead paint is sanded, scraped and blasted away from surfaces, it can pose a serious health risk to those in the vicinity. Unless you know exactly what you are doing and have all the right equipment, we strongly suggest hiring help to deal with lead paint.
Checking the Age and Condition of Your Exteriors
The most appropriate way to remove exterior paint will vary in accordance with a number of factors. Two of which are the age and condition of the paint. If it has been 60 years since your home was repainted, a different approach may be necessary than if it was painted just a couple of years ago.
It’s a process which therefore begins with a thorough inspection. If most of the paint on your home is already flaking and peeling, it should be pretty easy to remove. If it’s still stuck like glue, it’s going to take a lot more elbow grease.
At which point, you should be in a better position to determine what kind of tools you need. Not to mention, whether it’s a job you can handle, or if it’s better to call in the pros.
Tools for Removing Exterior Paint
If the paint on your home is already peeling of its own accord, the traditional scraping option is the way to go. For which, you can use a few basic tools to get rid of the lion’s share of the paint, such as:
- A Putty Knife – A simple metallic scraping device with a rigid blade, which can make it easy to deal with peeling and flaking paint.
- A Paint Scraper – Similar in nature though designed with this specific purpose in mind, costing next to nothing and getting the job done in no time.
- A Wire Brush – Also very useful to have on hand, making it easier to get rid of the finer bits of residual paint and general debris from the surface.
While each of these three tools can get the job done fine, they all have one slight downside in common. They’re all manual tools, meaning that covering the entirety of your home’s exterior could become a long and laborious job.
This is where power tools for removing paint can help, just as long as you know how to use them safely. Examples of appliances suitable for removing exterior paint include:
- Cordless Drills – Useful with appropriate attachments to a limited extent, though not designed to be used continuously for long periods of time.
- Electric Sanders – Easy to use and very efficient, but potentially difficult to negotiate when scaling ladders and working on awkward areas of your home.
- Specialist Paint Removal Tools – Designed for this exact purpose and great to use, but potentially expensive. (It could be cheaper to hire help).
Should I Use a Chemical Paint Stripper?
Using a heat gun to remove exterior paint is one option, but again can be time consuming. This is why many resort to using chemical paint strippers, which can indeed be a faster and more convenient solution.
However, working with chemical strippers can be hazardous for a number of reasons. The vapors produced can be highly toxic, the run-off can be hazardous to the surrounding environment and some chemical strippers can even cause damage to the wood beneath the surface.
Call Homm CPS for a Quote
Rather than putting your own health and safety in jeopardy, why not call in the pros for your next exterior paint job?
At Homm CPS, we provide a comprehensive range of exterior home painting services at affordable prices. All covered by our market-leading warranty for total peace of mind – call today for a quick quotation.