Given the fact that most of us don’t walk around with our eyes trained downwards, it’s hardly surprising floors don’t get too much attention. Nevertheless – and for reasons that are blindingly obvious – to call floors around the home important would be something of an understatement!
Every now and again, homeowners may reach the somewhat unwelcome realization that at least some of their floors could do with a little TLC. More often than not, it tends to be basements, garage floors and so on that end up looking worse for wear. Should this occur, you’ll find yourself with all manner of options to consider – epoxy being one of them.
If you’re unfamiliar with the stuff, epoxy is a material that works as an effective sealant for concrete floors. Pretty much anywhere you have a concrete floor that could do with being enhanced and improved, epoxy has the potential to work wonders. It is already used as standard across millions of commercial and industrial buildings all over the world – including some of the most heavy-duty manufacturing environments.
And if it’s good enough for them, it’s probably good enough for you!
But when broken down into specifics, what are the primary benefits of epoxy floors?
- Durability: First of all, when a concrete floor is treated with epoxy, it is guaranteed to immediately become considerably more resistant and therefore last longer. Long-term protection from such a simple and affordable enhancement.
- Strength: The epoxy used to protect concrete floors transforms into a solid polymer as it dries, which is unbelievably strong and resilient. It’s essentially like adding an additional coat of armor to your concrete floor.
- Quick and Easy:As already touched upon, epoxy can be applied quickly and easily, which in turn means little to no disruption whatsoever. When compared to most other examples of flooring, it’s an absolute breeze!
- Easy to Clean: Once everything has dried appropriately, the epoxy coating completely seals the surface of the concrete, meaning it is no longer porous. Which in turn means it all becomes exponentially easier to keep clean and dry.
- Aesthetics: You can choose from an extensive range of colors and patterns, to suit your own individual tastes and interior décor. Epoxy floors can be every bit as simple or elaborate as you want them to be.
- Chemically Resistant: Whereas the standard concrete floor may absorb and/or be damaged by a wide variety of chemicals and hazardous products in general, epoxy coatings are incredibly resistant and offer a much higher level of defense.
- Safety: There’s actually very little you can submit an epoxy floor to that it won’t be able to handle. Not only can they help reduce slips and trips, but are also resistant to relatively extreme impact, high temperatures and even fire. As such, just the ticket for garages, workshops, basements and so on.
- High-Gloss: While there are plenty of options available, a high-gloss epoxy finish can result in a uniquely bright and pristine surface. This kind of surface can also help maximize light within the room as a whole, which again can be beneficial.
- Savings: To protect your concrete flooring with epoxy is to make the kind of investment that guarantees long-term value for money. With this extra protective layer in place, it is considerably less likely that you will be required to carry out ongoing repairs and/or replacements, as may be necessary with other flooring options.
- Eco-Friendly: And of course, the fact that you don’t have to repair or replace your floors on a regular basis after being treated means that epoxy flooring is also extremely environmentally friendly.
As already mentioned, epoxy is capable of making such an incredible difference by way of a comparatively simple and comprehensively affordable process. If you’re unsure as to how it all works or which (if any) areas of your home may be suitable for epoxy, we’d be delighted to offer our help and support.